Learn about the key concepts surrounding green coffee: production, processing, grading, shipping, storage, arrival at destination, as well as coffee contracts and portfolio management.
This course is designed to build on the knowledge gained in the Green Coffee Foundation course and prepare the student for more complex job functions found in the green coffee profession. Specifically:
- Botany and agronomy are developed further
- Processing is explored in more detail and quality as a result of processing is introduced as a concept
- Defects as well as positive grading variables are introduced to the student
- Core elements of green coffee contracts are introduced
- Grading and quality differentiation with regard to contracts is introduced
- Seasonality and quality storage variables are introduced as concepts
- Market terminology is developed further
- Decaffeination is developed further
- Mechanisms of certification are explored in further detail
- It is recommended that students have been working for a minimum of six months in a job with exposure to green coffee before taking this module, and ideally around twelve months minimum.
- Pre-requisite: Intro to Coffee, Green Coffee Foundation, Sensory Foundation, Sensory Intermediate (recommended only)
- Courses at the Intermediate level usually take a minimum of 2 days.