SCI + SCA Brewing
SCI + SCA Brewing
[ Early Bird - $100 off sign up before 31st Aug. 2019 ]
SCI + SCA Dual Award Brewing Course
[SCI Brewing Level 1 + 2 + SCA Brewing Foundation + Intermediate]
Date: 8th October - 13th October
Venue: Torch Coffee Lab, Yunnan, China
Class conducted in bilingual (English & Chinese).
Inclusive of a Farm Tour
All coffee courses conduct in Yunnan, Pu’Er, China is inclusive of a Coffee Farm Trip
The brewing module takes an in-depth hands on approach to learning commonly used as well as more advanced brewing techniques, including multiple cold brewing methods.
Other topics covered are bypass brewing, blending techniques with different single origins, and learning about competition techniques.
SCI BREWING LEVEL 1
Day 1: Overview of traditional brewing methods. Discussion of variables that affect extraction. Measuring strength and extraction to confirm results.
Day 2: Experiment with traditional and by-pass brewing to optimize extraction and flavor. Compare automated with manual brewing systems and results.
Day 3: Continued discussion and practice of variables that affect extraction, including roasting affect s.
- Pre-requisite: No previous experience required
SCI BREWING LEVEL 2
Day 1: Overview of traditional and less common brewing methods and techniques.
Day 2: Learn different cold brewing techniques, equipment, and results.
Day 3: Overview of Brewer’s Cup competition rules. Receive tips on competing and simulate competition environment.
- The Level 2 is suitable if you are already part of the industry, working in the field covered by the module, and have a firm knowledge of the basic skills.
- Pre-requisite: Brewing Level 1 (recommended only)
Learn about the variety of methods for brewing coffee and the brewing variables that affect quality. The Brewing module provides hands-on learning on grind profiles, brewing methods, measuring coffee strength and charting a coffee’s extraction.
SCA BREWING FOUNDATION
Designed to introduce core brewing skills and equipment to people with no previous brewing experience. Successful candidates should be able to grind and brew to the correct recipe to produce great coffee.
- The Foundation level provides a first taste of a specific coffee discipline and is a great way to get insight into a module to help you decide if you want to go on to learn more.
- The Foundation level requires no previous experience.
- Courses at this level usually take 1 day.
SCA BREWING INTERMEDIATE
Designed to introduce the concept of scientifically measuring coffee extraction and to explore the elements of coffee brewing, brewing intermediate helps the coffee professional manipulate brew techniques to improve coffee quality.
- The Intermediate level is suitable if you are already part of the industry, working in the field covered by the module, and have a firm knowledge of the basic skills.
- Experience working in the field is recommended for this level.
- Courses at the Intermediate level usually take a minimum of 2 days.