SCAA COFFEE TASTERS CERTIFICATION - LEVEL 1
From acids to extraction, the SCAA flavor wheel to triangulations, The SCAA Coffee Taster Pathway Level 1 course presents the tools required to dissect coffees for flavor and evaluate them in a nuanced, careful manner, ensuring the best product makes its way to the consumer. In this course, students will learn a vocabulary of taste descriptors and adhere to cupping protocols, building world-class sensory skills alongside knowledgeable certified instructors. Students who complete this course will be prepared to contribute to quality control departments and programs, working alongside roasters and green coffee buyers to evaluate and critique performance.
Coffee Tasters who currently have, or are pursuing a Q-Grader certification may be eligible to receive credit for a portion of the Level 1 curriculum. This course consists of 30 hours (Q Graders: fewer than 10 hours) of classroom time, a practical exam, a written exam, and completion of the Coffee Taster Code of Conduct. *All SCAA students are required to obtain certification for Foundations of Coffee before taking this course.
For your convenience, we offer the Coffee Tasters Level 1 course together with SCAA Foundation courses and other SCAA and SCAE courses. Course schedule varies depending on the lab you are attending. Please check location for more information.
The course includes the following classes:
- GE151 Green Coffee Grading
- GE153 Le Nez du Café Aroma of Coffee
- GE154 Sensory Skills Test Preparation
- GE200 Introduction to Sensory Analysis
- GE201 SCAA Cupping Form & Peer Calibration
- GE202 Comparative Cupping: World Regions
- GE203 Comparative Cupping: Africa
- GE204 Defect Cupping
- GE205 Comparative Cupping: Central & South America
- GE255 Organic Acids in Coffee
- GE303 Triangulation Cupping
REQUIREMENTS AND PREREQUISITES FOR LEVEL 1
- PREREQUISITE: SCAA Foundations courses are required in order to take Level 1 courses and are offered in a bundle together with Level 1 courses.
- CP103: Customer Service Essentials
- CB100: Seed to Cup
- CP151 & 152: Brewing and Extraction Principles and Principles Applied
- GE103: Orientation to SCAA Cupping
- REQUIREMENT: Completion of the Coffee Tasters of Conduct is a requirement for the Coffee Tasters Pathway Level 1.
Need to retest? Contact our labs directly for information.