SCA BARISTA FOUNDATION
Designed to introduce core barista skills to people with no previous barista experience. Successful candidates should be able to calibrate their grinders and make an espresso and cappuccino to core standards.
- The Foundation level provides a first taste of a specific coffee discipline and is a great way to get insight into a module to help you decide if you want to go on to learn more.
- The Foundation level requires no previous experience.
- Courses at this level usually take 1 day.
SCA BARISTA intermediate
Designed to test key core and more advanced skills and understanding, expected from a competent barista (for example, from someone working as a barista for 6 months or more. Subject to Trainer assessment).
Successful candidates should be able to dial in a brew recipe, make a full range of drinks with quality and speed, as well as understand the basic requirements for customer service and maintenance.
- The Intermediate level is suitable if you are already part of the industry, working in the field covered by the module, and have a firm knowledge of the basic skills.
- Experience working in the field is recommended for this level.
- Courses at the Intermediate level usually take a minimum of 2 days.
SCA BARISTA professional
Designed to test advanced skills and detailed knowledge of the science behind processes used, expected from a professional barista (for example, from someone working as a barista for 12 months or more, with some management responsibilities). Successful candidates should have a detailed understanding of their ingredients and of the techniques available to maximize the quality of the drinks made. They should be able to manage the skills of others to produce quality drinks and provide excellent customer service. They should be able to maintain their equipment to ensure continued quality.
- The Professional level is suitable if you want to pursue specialist knowledge at a high level in your subject. Success at this level should indicate to employers competence to work in the field.
- Extensive relevant experience is recommended before attempting this level.
- Candidates must hold the Intermediate qualification in the module before attempting the professional level.
- Courses at this level would be expected to take a minimum of 3 days.