SCA roasting FOUNDATION
Designed to introduce core roasting skills and equipment to people with no previous roasting experience. The student will be able to describe the various stages of roasting using all terminology from the keyword list below.
- The Foundation level provides a first taste of a specific coffee discipline and is a great way to get insight into a module to help you decide if you want to go on to learn more.
- The Foundation level requires no previous experience, Sensory and Green Coffee Foundation level courses are recommended
- Courses at this level usually take 1 day.
SCA ROASTING intermediate
This course will provide a more detailed understanding of the roasting process and the different kinds of heat transfer at work.
- The Intermediate level is suitable if you are already part of the industry, working in the field covered by the module, and have a firm knowledge of the basic skills.
- Pre-requisite: Roasting Foundation, Green Coffee Foundation and Sensory Foundation
- Courses at the Intermediate level usually take a minimum of 2 days.
SCA roasting professional
Advanced skills in profile development and sensory evaluation of different profiles are tested. Knowledge of the fundamental chemistry of coffee is tested as well as the chemical reactions happening during coffee roasting. Roastery management include principles of manufacturing efficiency and capital expenditure decision making is tested.
- The Professional level is suitable if you want to pursue specialist knowledge at a high level in your subject. Success at this level should indicate to employers competence to work in the field.
- Extensive relevant experience is recommended before attempting this level.
- Pre-requisite: Roasting Intermediate, Green Coffee Intermediate and Sensory Intermediate
- Courses at this level would be expected to take a minimum of 3 days.