SCAA BARISTA CERTIFICATION - LEVEL 1
The SCAA Barista Pathway Level 1 course provides students with a comprehensive introduction to the espresso craft, including the basics of expresso preparation, milk, and drink building. Students will receive expertly lead training with access to the best tools, coffees, and industry leaders. This course consists of 10 hours of classroom time, a practical exam, a written exam, and completion of the Barista Code of Conduct. *All SCAA students are required to obtain certification for Foundations of Coffee before taking this course.
For your convenience, we offer the Barista Level 1 course together with SCAA Foundation courses and other SCAA and SCAE courses. Course schedule varies depending on the lab you are attending. Please check course offerings for more information.
Barista Level 1 includes the following classes:
- CP101: Espresso and Milk Steaming Fundamentals, Part 1
- CP102: Espresso and Milk Steaming Fundamentals, Part 2
- EXM_BW1: Barista Level 1 Written Exam
- EXM_BP1: Barista Level 1 Practical Exam
REQUIREMENTS AND PREREQUISITES FOR LEVEL 1
- PREREQUISITE: SCAA Foundations courses are required in order to take Level 1 courses and are offered in a bundle together with Level 1 courses.
- CP103: Customer Service Essentials
- CB100: Seed to Cup
- CP151 & 152: Brewing and Extraction Principles and Principles Applied
- GE103: Orientation to SCAA Cupping
- REQUIREMENT: Completion of the Barista Code of Conduct is a requirement for the Barista Pathway Level 1.
What kind of experience do I need to do well in this course?
Everyone has to start somewhere. If you've never worked in a cafe but desire to learn the craft of serving delicious coffee, don't worry -we're here to help you along the way. And if you've been working in the industry for years, we'll help you fine tune your skills to get you to the next level of your career.
Need to retest? Contact our labs directly for information.